Chanticleer Holdings, Inc. acquired the exclusive franchise rights to develop and operate Hooters restaurants in South Africa in 2008 and initially partnered with Shaw Holdings to operate and jointly own Hooters SA. At the end of Q3 2011, Chanticleer bought Shaw’s interest and now with it’s LP’s has a majority interest in the first 3 South African locations:
- Chanticleer formed a management company in South Africa that operates and manages all the South African restaurants. HOTR owns 80% of the management company and key management own the remaining 20%.
- Emperor's Palace opened in mid-Feb 2012.
- The Willows Crossing Shopping Centre in Pretoria, national capital of South Africa opened December 14, 2013.
- Ruimsig opened December 2014
- Port Elizabeth opened in August 2015.
- Expected market opportunity ~ 20 restaurants
The Republic of South Africa: 2011 (est.) selected statistics:
- Population: ~49 Million
- Official languages: 11
- Country capital: Pretoria
- Currency: Rand
- GDP (PPP): $562.2 billion
- GDP per Capita (PPP): $11,100